When you start a new business you may need various permits, depending on the type of business.
We've created a Permit Navigator (PDF, 344KB) to help you work out which permits you need to apply for, and how many.
I need more than one permit
If you need more than one permit, follow these steps.
- As you require multiple permits from different Council departments, contact us for guidance.
- We recommend you contact our Business Concierge Service on 9524 3333. They may suggest a pre-application meeting with the relevant departments to ensure you have a clear understanding of the application requirements.
- You leave the meeting with a clear understanding of which permits you need and the expected time frames.
- Apply for the required permits online.
- Receive your permits to open your business and start trading.
I only need one permit
If you've completed our Permit Navigator and discovered you only need one permit, please refer to the links below and apply for the relevant permit directly with the issuing department (Planning, Environmental Health, or Local Laws).
If you have any questions about your permit, please contact that department directly on 9524 3333. If you know which permits you need, please apply below:
- Apply for a Planning Permit (registration required)
- Apply for Footpath Trading Permit (start by entering the location for the permit)
- Apply for a Food Business Permit
- Apply for a Health and Wellbeing Business permit
- Apply for a Prescribed Accommodation Business permit
If you need to complete more than one form, you'll need to enter some information like your name and address more than once. We’re working on a way to reduce the duplication, but until then, thank you for your patience.
Note: if you require a Building Permit, please refer to the additional information below, or you can find a list of registered private building surveyors on the Victorian Building Authority’s website.