We are developing a range of support for businesses, including:
- small business grants for online technical and innovation support
- business listing to support our local businesses operating during COVID-19
- rent relief for eligible commercial tenants in Council-owned buildings
- partial and full refund of certain registration fees for businesses under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act
- a skills swap initiative
- webinars for our business community
- volunteer COVID-19 a peer-to-peer mentoring program
- COVID-19 Hotline for residents and businesses looking for information, advice and support about COVID-19 contact 9524 3733
- a new Rates Financial Hardship Policy
- free counselling for business owners.
FAQ’s for business
Can I open my business during COVID-19?
Information on COVID-19 is rapidly changing. For the latest information for business operations, visit the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services — Business and industry COVID-19 page.
See our dedicated COVID-19 page for all the latest on our response.
Who can apply for the initiatives outlined in the response and recovery package?
This package is aimed at businesses located in City of Glen Eira.
What grants are available for business?
As part of our response and recovery package for businesses, we announced a Small Business Grant Program providing grants to eligible businesses for online technical and innovation support.
Grants up to $2,000 are offered for costs associated with online and e-commerce activities, including the purchasing of hardware, software and services
Applications now open.
What is the Rates Financial Hardship Policy and how do I apply?
I am a small business owner, can I apply for rate relief?
I am residential ratepayer, can I apply for rate relief?
I am a tenant in a Council owned building — can I apply for rent relief?
We are offering rent relief for Council community tenants and some Council commercial tenants, including those sporting tenants holding a ground lease with Council. We will also waive fees for sporting clubs and associations for winter season allocation (1 April 2020 to 30 September 2020).
How can I support local businesses?
We have created a business listing for information on businesses operating during COVID-19. We encourage you to check in with your favourite business and see what they are offering.
You can show your support by:
- purchasing take away meals and home delivery from local restaurants
- buying groceries from independent retailers and restaurants
- consider gift vouchers from small businesses
- shopping locally online
watching events and music through live streaming.
How are we supporting restaurants, cafes and food-based businesses?
To support City of Glen Eira’s food businesses, we are partially refunding fees for Food Act registrations. Eligible food businesses will be entitled to a 50% refund of the 2020 registration fee.
Further information for businesses
- Australian Government information and support for businesses: 13 28 46
- Australian Government JobKeeper payment for employers and employees
- Australian Government Treasury resources for business
- Australian Tax Office COVID-19 information, emergency support infoline: 1800 806 218
- Australian Tax Office small business newsroom
- Victorian Government details on the latest COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria
- Victorian Government economic survival and jobs package, hotline: 13 22 15
- Victorian Government COVID-19 business support, including the latest on business operations.
- Victorian Government business support fund, including grants of $10,000
- Victorian Government Working for Victoria initiative to find new work opportunities.
- State Revenue Office Victoria tax relief to support business
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 resources for business
- Victorian Small Business Commissioner Tenancy Relief Scheme, including translated resources
- National COVID-19 Coordination Commission Resources provides checklists and planning tools for businesses.
- National COVID-19 Coordination Commission My business’s COVIDSafe plan, will help your business prepare a plan for the different stages of the pandemic.
- National COVID-19 Coordination Commission Checklist for a COVID-19 safe and sustainable business
- Beyond Blue COVID-19 Mental Wellbeing Support Service, call 1800 512 348
- SBS provides a translation of COVID19 information in 63 languages
- Glen Eira City Council’s COVID-19 Council services update
- Subscribe to Glen Eira City Council’s City Futures newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org