We are developing a range of support for businesses, including:
- small business grants for online technical and innovation support, closed on 31 December 2020
- business listing to support our local businesses operating during COVID-19
- rent relief for eligible commercial tenants in Council-owned buildings
- partial and full refund of certain registration fees for businesses under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act
- a skills swap initiative
- webinars for our business community
- volunteer COVID-19 a peer-to-peer mentoring program
- COVID-19 Hotline for residents and businesses looking for information, advice and support about COVID-19 contact 9524 3733
- a new Rates Financial Hardship Policy
- free counselling for business owners
- additional outdoor trading opportunities
FAQ’s for business
What are the recent changes impacting businesses?
In metropolitan Melbourne (which includes Glen Eira) changes include relaxing of restrictions around:
What is Victoria’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap to reopening and can I open my business?
The Victorian Government has launched Victoria’s roadmap for reopening, which outlines considered and gradual steps to ensure that businesses can open safely and effectively. We are currently in the third step of the roadmap.
To view this roadmap, visit the State Government of Victoria’s — Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap to reopening page.
Do I need a COVID safe business plan?
Every Victorian business that is open must have a COVIDSafe Plan. The Victorian Government has developed Industry Restart Guidelines, which outline the requirements businesses need to apply to safely operate in accordance with the easing of restrictions.
For more information, visit the State Governments Creating a COVIDSafe workplace page.
Who can apply for the initiatives outlined in the response and recovery package?
This package is aimed at businesses located in City of Glen Eira.
What grants are available for business?
As part of our response and recovery package for businesses, we announced a Small Business Grant Program providing grants to eligible businesses for online technical and innovation support.
Grants up to $2,000 were offered for costs associated with online and e-commerce activities, including the purchasing of hardware, software and services
Applications are now closed.
Business Victoria — Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package Business Grants
Under Business Victoria's Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package, eligible businesses can apply for a grant of $5,000 that can be used to pay for practical things like umbrellas, outdoor furniture, screens and other equipment needed for new, expanded or enhanced outdoor dining and food service. Grant funds can also be used to assist businesses with training, marketing and other costs of modifying trading operations to focus on outdoor dining.
Applications are now open and will remain until 11.59pm on 11 December 2020 or until funds are exhausted, whichever is earlier.
Business Victoria — Small Business Digital Adaptation Program
Business Victoria is offering Small Business Digital Adaptation Program. The program allows eligible businesses to trial and then receive access to digital products, tools and training they can use to build digital capability in their day-to-day operations.
Businesses will be able to register and trial selected digital products from suppliers who have partnered with the Victorian Government, then choose one of these products to purchase.
Products currently available to businesses through this program include a website, e-commerce, finance and digital business management tools. The program also offers free digital adaptation training and workshops to help registered businesses adopt and implement online tools in their business.
Before submitting an application, please check their eligibility and read the program guidelines and the frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What is the Rates Financial Hardship Policy and how do I apply?
I am a small business owner, can I apply for rate relief?
I am residential ratepayer, can I apply for rate relief?
I am a tenant in a Council owned building — can I apply for rent relief?
We are offering rent relief for Council community tenants and some Council commercial tenants, including those sporting tenants holding a ground lease with Council. We will also waive fees for sporting clubs and associations for winter season allocation (1 April 2020 to 30 September 2020).
How can I support local businesses?
We have created a business listing for information on businesses operating during COVID-19. We encourage you to check in with your favourite business and see what they are offering.
You can show your support by:
- purchasing take away meals and home delivery from local restaurants
- buying groceries from independent retailers and restaurants
- consider gift vouchers from small businesses
- shopping locally online
watching events and music through live streaming.
How are we supporting restaurants, cafes and food-based businesses?
To support City of Glen Eira’s food businesses, we are partially refunding fees for Food Act registrations. Eligible food businesses will be entitled to a 50% refund of the 2020 registration fee.
We are also offering an opportunity for businesses to apply for extended footpath trading and/or parklets.
Further information for businesses
- Australian Government information and support for businesses: 13 28 46
- Australian Government JobKeeper payment for employers and employees
- Australian Government Treasury resources for business
- Australian Tax Office COVID-19 information, emergency support infoline: 1800 806 218
- Australian Tax Office small business newsroom
- Victorian Government details on the latest COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria
- Victorian Government economic survival and jobs package, hotline: 13 22 15
- Victorian Government COVID-19 business support, including the latest on business operations.
- Victorian Government Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package, including grants of $5,000
- Victorian Government Small Business Digital Adaptation Program helping Victorian small businesses build their digital capability.
- Victorian Government business support fund, including grants of $10,000
- Victorian Government Victorian Music Industry Recovery program, grants program to support artists, managers, promoters, bookers, road crew and other workers to keep creating new music, undertake professional and business development activities and develop new COVIDSafe ways of working.
- Victorian Government Working for Victoria initiative to find new work opportunities.
- State Revenue Office Victoria tax relief to support business
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 Business Restart services, including preparing to reopen, Business restart guide and checklist.
- Victorian Chamber of Commerce COVID-19 resources for business
- Victorian Small Business Commissioner Tenancy Relief Scheme, including translated resources
- National COVID-19 Coordination Commission Resources provides checklists and planning tools for businesses.
- National COVID-19 Coordination Commission My business’s COVIDSafe plan, will help your business prepare a plan for the different stages of the pandemic.
- National COVID-19 Coordination Commission Checklist for a COVID-19 safe and sustainable business
- Beyond Blue COVID-19 Mental Wellbeing Support Service, call 1800 512 348
- SBS provides a translation of COVID19 information in 63 languages
- Glen Eira City Council’s COVID-19 Council services update
- Subscribe to Glen Eira City Council’s City Futures newsletter by emailing CityFutures@gleneira.vic.gov.au