Under local law, you need a permit to place advertising signs, goods, tables, chairs, windbreaks or associated furniture on footpaths.
Footpath activities guidelines
We've developed footpath activities guidelines to give you all the information you need before you apply for a footpath trading permit. You must comply with these guidelines if you get a footpath trading permit.
- Footpath Activities Guidelines — English (PDF, 1.6MB)
- 步行道 使用 指导守则 — Footpath Activities Guidelines — Simplified Chinese (PDF, 1.7MB)
- ПРАВИЛА ИСПОЛЬЗОВАНИЯ ТРОТУАРОВ — Footpath Activities Guidelines — Russian (PDF, 1.6MB)
- ΚΑΤΕΥΘΥΝΤΗΡΙΕΣ ΓΡΑΜΜΕΣ ΓΙΑ ΔΡΑΣΤΗΡΙΟΤΗΤΕΣ ΣΤΑ ΠΕΖΟΔΡΟΜΙΑ — Footpath Activities Guidelines — Greek (1.6MB)
There's public infrastructure outside my business
Please consider public infrastructure when choosing a site for your business. Public infrastructure includes things like rubbish bins, public seats, bicycle hoops and planter boxes. The footpath activities guidelines outline the clearances that apply to public infrastructure.
If there's existing infrastructure at the front of your business, you can make a request to remove or relocate it.
Your removal and/or relocation request should include:
- your name and contact details
- the address of your business
- details of the public infrastructure outside your business (including photos)
- details of items you wish to place on the footpath (eg. number of tables/chairs etc.)
- justification for why you believe the infrastructure should be moved/removed.
We assess removal and/or relocation requests on a case-by-case basis and we may refuse your request. If we approve your request, you must pay all removal and pavement reinstatement costs.
You must contact us to discuss public infrastructure before you apply for your footpath trading permit. To discuss public infrastructure, call our Business Concierge Officer on 9524 3333 or email email@example.com.
How to apply for a footpath trading permit
Before you apply for a footpath trading permit, please ensure you've read the Footpath Activities Guidelines.
Your application must include the following information:
- Public Liability Insurance Policy with a minimum coverage of $10 million
- Two clear photographs of the footpath trading area outside your business, taken within the last two weeks
- A credit card to pay the fees (Visa and Mastercard accepted)
Apply online for a footpath trading permit. Please note: you'll start your application by entering the address for the permit.
Once we receive your application, one of our officers will assess it. If your application is successful you'll receive your footpath trading permit via email. We usually process footpath trading permit applications within five business days.
(1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019)
All footpath trading permits expire on 31 December each year, and must be renewed at this time. Fees apply on a pro-rata basis.
|External chairs (up to six chairs)
Bench seat (up to six patrons)
|$240 fixed fee|
|Extra chairs (if there are more than six chairs)
Bench seat (if there are more than six patrons)
|$40 per extra chair/patron|
|A-frame sign||$120 per sign|
|Heater||$100 per display|
|display of goods||$250 per display|
If you have any questions about footpath trading permits, contact us on 9524 3333.