Let’s work together to make Carnegie Memorial Swimming Pool a reality.
Rebuilding a community icon #yourpoolforlife
A contemporary design which honours the past
Following consultation with the community, a state-of-the-art design for the new aquatic and leisure facility has been developed. During consultation in 2020–21 residents told us they wanted a modern, sustainable and inclusive facility which honours the local significance of the pool and upholds a strong sense of nostalgia.
What will the redeveloped facility feature?
The new year-round aquatic and leisure facility will be one of the most environmentally friendly and sustainable pools in the world. It will be designed and constructed to a 6 Star Green Star rating with climate resilience, low energy operations and maximum water efficiency.
The new facility will include:
- indoor and outdoor pools
- an outdoor diving pool
- learn-to-swim programs, a therapeutic warmwater pool and numerous allied health services
- a café, barbecue, and shaded seating areas
- allied health treatment rooms
- program rooms for classes such as yoga and Pilates
- retention of design references to the past such as the post-war style signage, the red brick and retaining the eastern hill.
What happens next?
The new project budget is a total of $75,319,095 (excluding GST) which includes the construction costs as well as the contingency, authority fees, consultant fees and capitalisation costs. Council is would benefit significantly from receiving financial support from the Federal Government to assist in making the new facility a reality.
We have been successful in securing $15 million of funding through the Australian Government as part of our advocacy efforts and we will continue to advocate to the Victorian Government as the project continues.
When is the project due to commence?
The Request for Tender process for the head contractor is now complete and Council awarded the contract to ADCO Constructions Pty Ltd in late 2022. With nearly 50 years' of experience, ADCO is one of Australia's oldest and most established construction companies. Council is excited to partner with this industry leader on the project.
Construction commenced in early 2023 and is scheduled to conclude in late 2024.
What can you do to help?
We need your support to spread the word about how important this project is to our community and make it a priority during the upcoming federal election campaign.
You can do simple things to raise awareness such as:
- Writing to your state member of parliament or state candidate.
- Mentioning the pool if you are contacted by a local member or election candidate.
- Commenting on our social media posts about the project.
- Sharing your own stories about the pool and tagging #yourpoolforlife.