Informed by feedback from residents and traders. Eat Street involves reconfiguring the Bentleigh Rotunda into a plaza. With flexible space for the community to enjoy.
Linked by a new, safer crossing over Centre Road, the plaza will connect to public realm changes in Vickery Street. This will see the space transformed into a pedestrian-friendly area with:
The vision is for Eat Street to support and grow the emerging café and restaurant culture in Bentleigh!
How has this project come about?
Eat Street is an initiative from Council’s Bentleigh Structure Plan. When we engaged with the community to develop this plan, we heard:
- There is a lack of quality public space in central Bentleigh.
- The main shopping areas don’t really have a central community ‘heart'.
- The Bentleigh Rotunda is not well used and is in need of refurbishment
- There is a need for a safer north-south crossing linking both sides of Centre Road.
- There is an opportunity to support the café and restaurant culture growing
Eat Street brings together a response to this feedback and will transform central Bentleigh for the whole community to enjoy.
What’s happening now
Design work is now finalised. We are planning for construction to start, focusing on the Bentleigh Rotunda area first. With the remainder of the project to follow.
For more information visit our Have Your Say page: