This map is for urban explorers who want to uncover the wonderful places in their community. Follow the suggestions, explore your own backyard, and tag your discoveries with #DiscoverYourGlenEira.
#DiscoverYourGlenEira Urban Adventure Map
- Start with brunch on Glen Eira road and then enjoy the aristocratic airs of Glen Eira’s two grand 19th Century mansions — Labassa and Rippon Lea Estate.
- Fill your picnic basket with goodies from Hawthorn Road, then head over to Caulfield Park and enjoy the richest variety of tree species in Melbourne outside of the Botanic Gardens.
- Put some stamps in your culinary passport on Koornang Road, then take yourself off on a self-guided street art tour and visit Glen Eira’s art laneways: Laz’s Lane, Rita’s Way and the Glen Huntly laneway running beside Glen Huntly Primary School.
- Neerim Road is an urban explorer’s dream. Stock up on your single origin coffee, go hunting for antiques and then see if you can find the Japanese vending machine. While you’re there, go in search of the critically endangered Swift Parrot which has been seen at both Carnegie and Murrumbeena Train Stations.
- Head to Brighton Cemetery and visit the final resting place of Sir John Monash, then head to Glenhuntly Road for a cocktail in his honour.
- The corner of Booran and Curraweena Roads is a notorious local brunch spot and the nearby historic Rosstown Rail Trail is perfect for a post meal stroll.
- Turn your weekly shop into an adventure and explore new flavours on North Road. While you’re in the area, wander through Mallanbool Reserve and learn how the traditional owners of Glen Eira, the Kulin Nation, used and cultivated indigenous plant and animal species.
- Stuck for date night ideas? The McKinnon and Tucker Road strip has dinner and dessert sorted. Got lunch plans? McKinnon and Jasper Road is the place to go.
- Grab a coffee on Centre Road and then walk towards the Thomas Street end of the strip to see the ‘I am’ and ‘Floating Home’ murals.
- Want to minimise your carbon footprint? Patterson is one of Glen Eira’s premier organic produce destinations and has some gorgeous public art to boot!
- Head to the corner of Patterson and Tucker Roads for some unconventional retail therapy and perhaps an old fashioned milkshake or