We have launched a dedicated Hotline for people who are isolated and need access to emergency food relief and essential items. Glen Eira residents can contact 9524 3733.
Be kind to yourself
While we are staying home, it is important that you look after yourself and give yourself some self-care and love. Do things that make you feel good and smile — now is the time to put yourself first.
Here are some things to get you started:
- Cook your favourite meals and bake your favourite treats
- Enjoy some fresh air outside and tend to your garden
- Listen to music or read a book — you can download your favourite online from Glen Eira Libraries
- Take a walk in one of Glen Eira’s magnificent parks
- Enjoy a bubble bath
- Kick back and enjoy bingeing on movies and television series
- Take one of our GEL Anywhere classes, which include meditation and yoga
How can I get support?
The outbreak of COVID-19 has impacted people in varying ways. It is understandable during times like this that people may be feeling afraid, worried, anxious and overwhelmed.
If you or anyone you know needs help:
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- beyondblue on 1300 224 636
- MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Headspace on 1800 650 890
- QLife on 1800 184 527
- Parentline on 13 22 89
Be kind to others
Now more than ever, it is important that we are kind to each other, especially our most vulnerable community members.
How to be kind to others
- Be patient when out shopping and offer to shop for someone who can’t
- Touch base your elderly family members or neighbours regularly
- Smile at people when you are out exercising
- Drop off a home-cooked meal to those who need it
- Be a good listener
- Do some activities at home with your kids — Play and learning @ home
- Set up a localised community group with your street via a WhatsApp group or Facebook Messenger group and do favours for one another.
Ways you can connect
Get creative and retain your social schedule with the use of different technology. Pick up the phone, email or utilise well-known video-chat methods such as FaceTime, Facebook video and Skype.
Take this time to try new methods of socialising. Share how you feel and try linking with people who are in a similar situation as you. If video chat is not your thing, join an online forum, social media group or other online communities to support others and yourself.
Be kind to business
Glen Eira businesses have been heavily impacted by COVID-19. We are currently working on a list of businesses that are offering delivery and takeaway. In the meantime, we encourage you to check in with your favourite cafes and see what they are offering.
If you’re a business owner in need of help, please visit our business support page