The Committee provides leadership and advice to support Council’s approach to Arts and Culture. The Committee consists of four councilors with three community members who live, work, play, study, visit, or invest in the City of Glen Eira.
Currently the practice of the Advisory Committee is to:
- Provide informed local community input into key Council policies which will affect arts and culture
- Keep Council informed of the artistic and cultural needs of the community
- Contribute to and inform discussions regarding Council’s priorities for arts and cultural development within the municipality.
- Contribute to the ongoing strategic review of Council’s arts and cultural programs
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of a strong public profile for the arts in Glen Eira.
Committee members contribute knowledge, skills and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- community events and programming
- history and heritage
- art galleries and museums
- public art
- cultural planning and creative placemaking
- marketing for cultural programming
- arts activation
- performance or creative arts practice
- community cultural development.
The appointment of members will reflect a balance of arts and cultural disciplines in accordance with the membership requirements.
Successful candidates will be able to address the following key selection criteria:
- Live, work, study or regularly participate in the arts and cultural activity in Glen Eira.
- Demonstrated arts and cultural knowledge and experience.
- Contribute specialist skills and experience in one of more cultural topics, including but not limited to community events and programming, history and heritage, art galleries and museums, public art, cultural contribution to placemaking, marketing for cultural programming, arts activation, performance or creative arts practice; community cultural development.
- An understanding of the key issues, opportunities and challenges for arts and cultural development, or local artists and community-based groups in Glen Eira.
- An understanding of opportunities for strengthening the profile, participation, and support for the arts in Glen Eira.
The term of appointment to the Committee is two years and meetings are held approximately four times per year, generally on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings. For more information about the Committee, please read the Terms of Reference
- Community representatives will be selected for recommendation to Council by the members of the Glen Eira Arts Committee
- The method of appointment will be via an online expression of interest process
- Members will be appointed for a two year term
- All members will be eligible to re-apply for appointment, however continuous membership for longer than four years will not be considered, unless otherwise recommended by the Committee Chair and endorsed by Council on a case by case basis
- Council will be responsible for appointing all Councillor, community members
- Casual vacancies which occur due to community being unable to complete the full term of their appointments, may be filled by co-opting suitable candidates from a previous selection process for the remainder of the previous incumbents’ terms, or where the previous applications are unsuitable, new members may be recommended and must apply. The selection panel will make a recommendation to the Director, Community Wellbeing, who will have the authority to appoint the recommended candidate/s to the committee for the remainder of the previous incumbent’s term.
How to apply
If you have a passion for Arts and Culture in Glen Eira, then this role is for you. If you are interested in becoming a Committee member please:
Then complete an expression of interest form. The application form will seek:
- Your response to selection questions
- Your resume
Applications close 5pm Tuesday 1 February 2022.