Status and expenditure of programs this quarter
Council’s capital expenditure is below forecast by $3.92m mainly due to underspends in: Continuous Improvement Projects (Website Development $437k, On Line Forms $209k, Customer Request Platform $100k), Fleet & Plant $529k, New Public Toilets at Harleston and McKinnon parks $352k, Open Space Strategy Implementation at EE Gunn Reserve (Foch St) $326k and Duncan McKinnon Landscaping Works $290k.
Projects commenced this quarter
Some of the projects commenced in quarter 3 include:
Sportsground Lighting Upgrades
Bentleigh Reserve – Commenced onsite preliminary works, such as electrical pit preparation, and lighting poles and fittings ordered for the 150lux LED sports ground lighting upgrade. Construction scheduled for May/June with completion by 30 June.
Bailey Reserve Sportsground Lighting Upgrade – Commenced onsite preliminary works, such as electrical pit preparation, and lighting poles and fittings ordered for the 150lux, LED sports ground lighting upgrade to Oval 1. Construction scheduled for May/June with completion by 30 June.
Minor Sportsground Lighting Upgrade Renewals – Audit and review of all lux (lighting) levels at identified sports grounds was completed third quarter. Retrofitting new light fittings to existing poles also commenced Q3.
Caulfield Park pathway lighting upgrade
Conversion of existing pathway lights to energy efficient LED lighting – contractor engaged and lights on order. Conversion works to be undertaken in April/May 2019.
The Caulfield Wedge
Construction has commenced at ‘The Wedge’.
Contractor engaged to construct pathways. The preparation works have commenced to shape the overall park. Contractor engaged for boundary fence construction. Agility equipment and park furniture also ordered.
Planned activities for the next quarter
Shaping and drainage works, installation of dog agility equipment, construction of fencing, construction of pathways, planting and surface works. Works scheduled for completion by 30 June 2019.
Joyce Park - New Open Space
Construction of new multipurpose space at Joyce Park has commenced
Earthworks to transform the site from the previous turf bowling green. Drainage works and construction of rebound/hit up wall completed.
Planned activities for the next quarter
Installation of multipurpose goals, netball goal and table tennis tables. Construction of plexipave sports courts and line marking. Installation of park furniture – shelter, seating, bike racks, etc.
Gardenvale Park playground upgrade & renewal
• Renewal / upgrade of play equipment – community consultation undertaken, playground design finalised.
• Construction to commence April 2019.
Duncan Mackinnon Reserve playground upgrade & renewal
• Renewal / upgrade of play equipment – playground design finalised and equipment being manufactured.
• Construction to commence May 2019.
Foch Street Car Parking and Road Works
Construction of indented parking bays in Foch St along EE Gunn Reserve, including road and drainage improvements commenced
Design completed, Tender awarded and works commenced.
Planned activities for the next quarter
Construction works to be completed and linked to pathway at EE Gunn cricket nets.
Programs completed this quarter
Some of the project completed in quarter 3 include:
Moorleigh Community Village, Bentleigh East
New 5 bay cricket/multipurpose training facility. Nets, concrete slab, goals, synthetic surface and line marking completed & access path to new training facility.
McKinnon Reserve, McKinnon
Sportsground Lighting Upgrade, Oval 1 – Installation of 4 new poles and LED fittings completed. Upgrade allows the ability to switch between 50lux and 150lux depending on usage requirements.
Bentleigh Wicket & drainage
Turf Wicket Table and Drainage Upgrade – New turf wicket constructed and turfed & new drainage completed with reinstatement of drainage lines.
Duncan Mackinnon Netball Courts
Installation of rubber base, fiberglass cover, 1 coat of sealant, 3 coats of paint and line marking.
Wattle Grove Reserve playground upgrade & renewal
Renewal / upgrade of play equipment constructed February 2019.
Rosanna Street Reserve, Carnegie
Landscape Enhancement Works – Construction of a new sensory garden at the eastern end of the reserve completed. Works included excavation of the site, realignment of the shared path, construction of new shelter, picnic tables, seats and bins, irrigation and drainage installation.
Rehabilitation of area adjacent to vehicle entrance and bandstand, with turf tiles, irrigation and over sewing.
Design works this quarter
Some of the projects in quarter 3 include:
- Design of new Open Space. Concept design and community consultation completed. Results of consultation reported to Council. Professional Contract Group established. Road discontinuance process has commenced. Detailed design to begin in Q1 2019-20.
- Refreshment of Masterplan. Revised & updated masterplan completed. Results of consultation reported to Council Q3. Masterplan to be presented to Council for adoption in Q4.
Outer Circle Railway
- Development of Management Plan (including Boyd Park). Development of Draft Management Plan and community consultation completed, and report presented to December Council Meeting. Minor amendments to be reported back to Council Meeting Q3. Management Plan was endorsed by Council on 19 March 2019.
- Development of landscape design for park renewal - Initial concept design completed. Finalisation of concept and subsequent community engagement to begin Q3. Construction to commence Q1 19/20
- Development of new Management Plan - Final concept design / draft plan completed. Following Heritage assessment, concept design reviewed. Community consultation to begin Q4.
Packer Park, Carnegie
- Retaining wall rectification - Works to replace the pedestrian bridge / retaining wall due to structural failures. Works completed.
- King George Pavilion redevelopment and extension, Bentleigh commenced and progressing.
- Lock up stage achieved.
- Internal framing works complete.
- Works on schedule.
- Harleston Reserve Public Toilet, Elsternwick. Tender awarded, construction works in the play space have commenced and progressing. Automated toilet equipment ordered, construction works to commence in third quarter.
Road Reconstruction Works
- Wallace Avenue, Murrumbeena. Crosbie Road to Reid Street. Construction works now completed – in maintenance and Defects Liability Period.
- Kinlock Ave, Murrumbeena. Brett Street to Reid Street. Construction works now completed – in maintenance and Defects Liability Period.
- Stewart St Reconstruction Murrumbeena Poath Road to Howe Street, construction works now completed – in maintenance and Defects Liability Period Works include kerb and channel replacement, sections of road pavement and footpath replacement and road resurfacing. Installation of 179m of underground drainage up to 450mm diameter.
- Lancaster Street Catchment Stage 3B Drainage Works, Bentleigh East. Completed and consisted of a combination of conventional and detention storage totalling 319m of underground drainage up to 1,800mm diameter.
- Sussex Street Reconstruction Caulfield South Brooklyn Avenue to Steele Street, Construction works are in progress Works include kerb and channel replacement, sections of road pavement and footpath replacement and road resurfacing. Installation of 200m of underground drainage up to 375mm diameter
- Godfrey Street Easement Drain, Bentleigh. Between No.33 to No.41. Completed Works and consisted of 77m of underground drainage up to 300mm diameter.
- Noora Avenue Drainage Works, Bentleigh East. Completed works.
- Bealiba Road catchment Stage 2B, Caulfield South. Completed, works include a combination of conventional and detention storage totaling 481m of underground drainage up to 1,800mm diameter.
- Buckingham Avenue catchment Stages 1 and 1A, Bentleigh. Winsor Avenue / Osborne Avenue and St James Avenue works include a combination of conventional and detention storage totaling 747m of underground drainage up to 1,800mm diameter.
- Neville Street Outfall Drainage works, Ormond. Tender awarded, Construction works to commence in third quarter, works include a combination of conventional and detention storage totaling 156m of underground drainage up to 525mm diameter.