Help is available. There are a variety of initiatives and services available in our community to help you and your family manage during this challenging time.
COVID-19 Community support
COVID-19 Community support and food relief
If you test positive to COVID-19, reporting your RAT result is the pathway to supports delivered through the COVID Positive Pathways program. You will receive a text message from the Department of Health asking if supports are needed. When selecting ‘yes’ to the text message you will be linked to local services that respond to additional needs or poor health outcomes. Supports will be delivered in a person-centred, coordinated, and flexible way, responding to individual needs. www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/report-your-rapid-antigen-test-result
Where urgent or immediate support is required, you should contact the Coronavirus Hotline (1800 675 398).
There are a number of organisations in Glen Eira that can provide food relief and other assistance if you are experiencing hardship and are in mandatory isolation. visit our COVID-19 Community Relief and Recovery Support Directory to find local services.
How to access food relief, essential items and support to isolate safely
- Where possible, plan ahead for a potential quarantine period, consider which food and other essential items they might need, including things like nappies, cleaning products and toys. See www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/prepare-covid-isolation for helpful tips to be prepared.
- Use online shopping or delivery services.
- Reach out to friends, family and community for support. Make sure they provide contactless assistance by leaving items at your door.
- Use an internet search engine such as Ask Izzy, which is a website that connects people to support services. Search to Ask Izzy to find food relief and other supports available in your area, visit www.askizzy.org.au
- If you require help to find local food relief programs or have an urgent support need, call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 and select Option 3 to speak with one of the team. If an interpreter service is required, you should select option zero (0).
- If your support needs are urgent and ongoing the Coronavirus Hotline (1800 675 398) can discuss a placement at the Victorian Quarantine Hub. Emergency accommodation at the Victorian Quarantine Hub is available for members of the Victorian community who need intensive supports to isolate safely.
Important community contacts
There are a variety of services available in our community to help you and your family manage during this challenging time. Download our community contact information.
Be Kind Glen Eira
We’ve all been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in some form. That’s why, it is important as ever to remain kind to yourself and each other. Reach out to your friends, family, neighbours and those in need and remember that we’re all in this together. Glen Eira is a great community, let’s continue to band together and support each other. Find out more at Be Kind Glen Eira.
Helping you connect online
During this pandemic, we have become more reliant on technology like smart phones, iPads and computers to keep us connected with our friends, families and local businesses.
If you need some further help to use your computer or smart device, this guide provides you with a list of local organisations that can assist you. They offer access to devices, technology support and classes both online and face-to-face (when permitted), as well as classes on how to use apps like WhatsApp, Zoom and Skype.
For a full list of services download, our Helping you to connect online guide (PDF)
Help and support
The outbreak of COVID-19 has impacted people in varying ways. It is understandable during times like this that people may be feeling afraid, worried, anxious and overwhelmed.
If you or anyone you know needs help:
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- beyondblue on 1300 224 636
- MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Headspace on 1800 650 890
- QLife on 1800 184 527
- Parentline on 13 22 89
For a full list of services and support download, our COVID-19 Community Relief and Recovery Support Directory
Community Information and Support Glen Eira (CIS Glen Eira)
A local community information and support service providing Telstra vouchers to assist paying Telstra accounts, no interest loan scheme for individuals or families living on low incomes and tax help. To find out more visit, CIS Glen Eira's website.
This service provides financial counselling and support, as well as interest-free loans. For more information visit, Jewish Care's website.
The Australian Government is providing financial assistance to Australians to support them through COVID-19. For more information and to find out if you are eligible, visit Services' Australia website.
For a full list of services and support, download our COVID-19 Community Relief and Recovery Support Directory
Community Groups — Volunteer Communication and Engagement Toolkit
The toolkit contains a 12-week social media campaign, newsletter content and online engagement ideas for community groups to communicate and engage with their volunteers during the pandemic. The messaging highlights four key themes - mental health, being kind, living an active lifestyle and healthy eating. The toolkit includes free images and has been designed so the content and images can easily be inserted directly into social media platforms and/or newsletter templates.
Download our Volunteer Communication and Engagement Toolkit.
We acknowledge the important role that volunteers play in our community. With the closing of work places and changes to working arrangements you may now have time to volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering during the COVID-19 pandemic, you can register your interest to become an emergency volunteer through the Volunteering Victoria website. Other volunteering opportunities may also exist through Community Information and Support Glen Eira (CIS Glen Eira).