Owning a pet can be a very rewarding experience that can provide you with many years of fun and companionship.
To adequately care for your pet and to ensure the impact on the community is limited to positive experiences, you should:
- desex your pet to prevent unwanted litters;
- provide adequate shelter from the elements;
- confine your pet to your property at all times;
- provide an adequate and balanced diet and access to clean water;
- provide vaccinations and regular worming;
- ensure your pet adequately socialises with people and other animals;
- place pets in a kennel, with a friend or family member or in suitable accommodation when you are away on holidays; and
- organise obedience training (for your dog).