Industrial waste bins/skips on roads or Council land

A skip bin permit must be obtained before the placement of a bulk rubbish container on a road or Council land. It is required for public safety, amenity, and drainage and to avoid potential damage to road surfaces. For these reasons Council considers each skip bin application individually.

Industrial waste skip bin supplier registration process

Council requires suppliers of industrial skips bins to enter into a formal agreement with Council. Suppliers who enter into the agreement will be issued Local Law permits.

Apply for a skip bin permit


If a skip bin is placed in drive way of property or private land then a permit is not required.  If a skip bin is placed on nature strip, road, road reserve or any Council reserve a permit is required, this is usually arranged when you order your bin with a reputable supplier.

Bin companies

Bin companies can make applications online, however you must register with Council before applying for a permit. Evidence of public liability insurance with minimum cover of $10 million and an agreement to maintain the cover for the period of the permit is required.

You can register to apply for these permits via our online service. Once registration is approved a confirmation email will be sent to you. Register to apply online

If you are already a registered user please log in. Already registered? Apply now

For further information, contact our Civic Compliance Unit on 9524 3333.

Please note: the location of the skip bin must comply with the requirements of VicRoads Code of Practice for the Placement of Waste Bins on Roadsides.

Placement of a skip bin on a road or Council land without a permit may incur an infringement notice with a penalty of up to $250 in each case.