Publications and reports
Glen Eira City Council gains its role, powers and functions primarily from the Local Government Act 1989 which sets out a charter prescribing the purpose of councils in Victoria. Under the Act, the main objective of councils is to endeavour to achieve the best outcomes for the local community having regard to the long-term and cumulative effects of decisions. In seeking to achieve this objective, councils must take into account the following aims to:
- promote the social, economic and environmental viability and sustainability of the municipal district;
- ensure that resources are used efficiently and effectively and services are provided in accordance with the Best Value Principles to best meet the needs of the local community;
- improve the overall quality of life of people in the local community;
- promote appropriate business and employment opportunities;
- ensure that services and facilities provided by the council are accessible and equitable;
- ensure the equitable imposition of rates and charges; and
- ensure transparency and accountability in council decision-making.
We are responsible for these functions and also to set the strategic direction for the municipality, establish and guide policies, set service delivery standards and to monitor performance of the organisation.