The origin of the name of the Caulfield is not known for certain. The name may be linked to the Baron Caulfield of Ireland, possibly through John Caulfield — a pioneer of the colony. The name Caulfield was in use since 1853 to identify the area around the racecourse.
The first Caulfield District Road Board was elected in November 1857. It had control over the roads in an area bounded by Warrigal Road, Hotham Street, Dandenong Road, North Road and Brighton Road.
From 1857 to the early 1880s, the Caulfield District Road Board/Shire members met in Mood Kee, the house of Cr Harold Pennington. He was paid 10 pounds a year to cover the cost of candles, fuel and the room. Annual general meetings were held in a tent in the backyard.
The Caulfield Shire Hall (now Glen Eira Town Hall) was built in 1885. The building was modified several times to meet the growing demands of the municipality, as was the Moorabbin Town Hall.
Road conditions were just one of the major challenges to face the elected bodies in these developing areas. As the farms and market gardens gave way to housing and the district’s population grew, street lighting (originally gas), drainage, sewerage, rubbish collection, tips and other services were needed.
Caulfield District Road Board was declared a Shire in 1871. In 1901 it was proclaimed a borough and then a town. The City of Caulfield was declared 1913.
Caulfield — Road District Board Chairmen, Shire Presidents and Mayors(PDF, 90KB)