Feeling overwhelmed, do you need help or advice with routines?
smalltalk is a research-based early learning program designed to promote language and literacy development at home. Developed by the Parenting Research Centre in conjunction with the Department of Education, smalltalk runs in a Supported Playgroup environment, with a qualified facilitator running each session. It runs to school terms and covers five complementary topics.
An initial Early Home Learning Study of more than 2,000 families found that 95 per cent of parents were satisfied/very satisfied with the program, their group leader and their in-home support coach. The study also found that parents engaged more with their children and continued to report improvements five months after finishing the program.
Additional State Government funding will now allow all councils across the state to provide the program. We have received funding to run three groups, as well as in-home support to four families per term. Playgroups are currently running at the following locations and times:
- Monday mornings — 55 Orrong Road, Elsternwick
- Monday afternoons — McKinnon MCH, 286 McKinnon Road, McKinnon
- Tuesday mornings— Moongala Women’s Community House, 824 Centre Road, Bentleigh East
It is free to all families and each session is two hours long.
- feeling overwhelmed, do you need help or advice with routines?
- finding it difficult to connect with your baby?
- wanting to meet other parents and give your baby/toddler and opportunity to play freely and make new friends?
- having trouble finding a playgroup that meets your needs or that you fit with?
If you have answered yes to the above, then please complete our Self-Referral form below. If you have any further queries, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
(for example: Connections)