Boyd Park formed part of the Outer Circle Railway. The railway was completed in 1891 and ran in three sections from Oakleigh to Fairfield Park. After closure in 1897, sections of land surrounding the railway link (now Boyd Park and surrounds) were fenced off and leased for agistment of horses.
While the land was not officially public parkland, it was frequented by community members for recreation activities such as bike riding, bonfires, fishing and canoeing in the creek. Murrumbeena Creek flowed under Dandenong Road and frequently flooded during heavy rainfall. The land remained as an unkempt paddock until 1960, when a local resident group formed, with intentions of beautifying the area. Council took over the maintenance of the park during the mid 1960s.
Following the announcement by the Premier in February 1988 of the creation of the Outer Circle Linear Park between Kew and Caulfield, residents proposed that part of the park within Caulfield be named Boyd Park. This was to honour the family of talented painters, writers and musicians, one branch of who lived and worked close to the parkland.
Dog Leash information
Boyd Park has a designated on-leash area in the vicinity of the playground, barbeque and picnic areas. Please take note of dog signage.
- Glen Eira has designated areas (marked with green off-leash signs) in some parks that are off-leash areas.
- Dogs must be on-leash at all times outside of your home unless within an off-leash area.
- Dogs must also be under effective voice control at all times and kept on a leash that does not exceed 1.5 metres in length when within 20 metres of barbeques and picnic areas, children's playgrounds, sporting events, sportsground preparation and organised public meetings.
Neerim Road, Murrumbeena 3163 View Map