Harleston Park — Open space and play space upgrade
Harleston Park is a wonderful open space that provides a mixture of well-established trees, grassed lawn areas and a play space.
The current playground area and park infrastructure requires replacement. This presents an opportunity to provide a new contemporary space for the community.
A concept design has been developed for new play and activity spaces which complement the existing natural water play area and introduces new sensory elements and a range of play areas.
This includes reconfiguring the playground and incorporating nature based play, such as timber cubby houses, scrambling rocks, challenging logger steps, a sensory maze and a giant sand pit. Native plantings will also be included throughout the play space and an acorn cubby house will pay tribute to the Pin Oaks that grace the site.
A new multi-play area will provide a space for ball sports and will feature netball and basketball areas. A secondary shelter and barbecue area, seating areas and a new public toilet facility are also proposed.
This upgrade aligns with Council’s Open Space Strategy in ensuring that the park is meeting the local community needs as the population changes.
History of Harleston Park
Harleston Park is named after the home town and birthplace in Norfolk of Sir Fredrick Grimwade who built Grimwade House formerly, Harleston House, in 1875. The property on which the house and gardens stood, occupied the whole of the block now bounded by Orrong and Balaclava Roads. In 1917 seven-acres including Grimwade House was donated to Melbourne Grammar School by the Grimwade family.
The opportunity to provide feedback on the concepts has now closed.