Site 3 — Wahroongaa Estate

Street address:
Corner Wahroongaa and Weeroona Road, Murrumbeena

In 1913, Wahroongaa Road terminated at Weeroona Road. The remainder of Wahroongaa Road from this corner to Boyd Park, did not exist but instead, formed a boundary between two of the larger rural holdings in the northern area of Murrumbeena — the recently subdivided Wahroongaa Estate and the Springthorpe Estate. An unsold section of the Wahroongaa Estate lay to the north of that boundary and the Springthorpe Estate to the south.

The Springthorpe Estate was owned by Dr John Springthorpe, who acquired his property in 1909. The Wahroongaa Estate was owned by Mary Wilson. Wilson Street, which runs along the eastern side of Boyd Park, is named after her. Her property was almost four hectares and included much of the land between this corner and Dandenong Road and Boyd Park. Her property boundary crossed Boyd Park — the route of the old Outer Circle Railway and Murrumbeena Creek, and extended almost to Poath Road. In 1913, Mary subdivided her estate. To carry this out, two new streets were constructed off Weeroona Road that extended to Boyd Park. Merric Boyd’s property was purchased off the Wahroongaa Estate subdivision in one of these new streets — Wahroongaa Crescent.

Murrumbeena State School lies between Wahroongaa Road and Weeroona Road and opened in 1917. Up until then, local children were schooled from an annexe of Rosstown State School, later Carnegie State School, at the local Presbyterian church hall. The school was significantly enlarged in 1926 and adjoining properties purchased to cater for the schools growing enrolments. Merric and Doris Boyd’s children — Lucy, Arthur, Guy, David and Mary all attended Murrumbeena State School, walking the short distance between their Wahroongaa Crescent home and the school, and entering via its back gate in Weeroona Road. Arthur’s talents were on display from a very early age at the school. He won its First Award for Art in every year between 1931 and 1934.

The Boyd Walk is proudly presented by Glen Eira City Council, produced by Matt Blackwood and written and narrated by Colin Smith.

For a downloadable map of all eight Boyd Walk sites, click on the link below:

Boyd Walk Murrumbeena Map(PDF, 1009KB)

Image left to right:
Notice of Sale for Wahroongaa Estate in 1913. Image courtesy City of Stonnington.
Murrumbeena State School in Weeroona Road in 1919, where the children of Merric and Doris Boyd did their early schooling. The property on which it was built, came from an earlier subdivision of the Wahroongaa Estate.