War Memorials in Glen Eira
War Memorial, Caulfield Park
The largest and grandest war memorial in Glen Eira, it was erected in Caulfield Park in 1930 to honour the citizens of Caulfield who served as volunteers in the First World War (1914–1918). The memorial was later updated to include an inscription commemorating those who fought in the Second World War (1939–1945).
In response to public sentiment, Caulfield City Council first floated the idea of a major local memorial in May 1927, at a cost not exceeding 5,000 pounds. Returned soldiers were invited to submit designs with prizes of £50, £30 and £20 offered for the best three entries. The winning designer was Geelong architect, Norman Schefferle, who envisaged a central portion of almost octagonal shape, with Corinthian columns standing in pairs’. (‘Caulfield’s War Memorial’, The Prahran Telegraph, 4 January 1930, p.3).
Tenders were soon called for its construction and on Anzac Day 1931 the memorial was officially unveiled by Mayor Cr H.G Ritchie as part of Council’s annual service.
The memorial is made of marble, granite and sandstone and features decorative bronze wreaths on the corners of the raised platform. The composition of the design is unique. According to the War Memorial Conservation Report it is one of only five war memorials in Victoria to consist of a circular set of columns and the only one of this design to be elevated and surrounded by flights of steps.
Other War memorials located in our parks
Bentleigh/Hodgson Reserve, memorial garden
The Memorial Drinking Fountain was unveiled on 25 July 1920. The design includes a marble scroll listing the names of those who served in the First World War. A bronze plaque was added later and includes the dates of the Second World War, Malay, Vietnam and Borneo conflicts.
During and following World War I, around 90 memorial trees were planted along the entrance to the reserve and around the oval in honour of the ‘Bentleigh boys’. Some of these trees can still be seen at the entrance to the reserve.
The War Memorial facing Hawthorn Road is the largest and grandest war memorial in Glen Eira and was erected in 1930. The main inscription reads: This memorial was erected in honour of those citizens of Caulfield who volunteered their services in the Great War 1914–1918. May it forever remind us that we enjoy a liberty maintained and enriched by the sacrifice of many lives upon this stone is now inscribed our gratitude for those citizens of Caulfield who defended the cause of freedom in the Second World War 1939–1945.
The Beer-Sheba Israel Memorial facing Hawthorn Road is a plaque that was unveiled on 25 April 1995 and was erected to commemorate the Light Horse Charge of Beer-Sheba in 1917, during World War I (1914–1919). The last triumphant cavalry charge in world history.
The Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Plaque commemorates the planting of a tree (directly behind the plaque) in honour of Raoul Wallenberg, a Swedish diplomat who saved 100,000 Jewish lives in Hungary during World War II.
Rose Garden The garden has a large planting of rosemary which is the traditional symbol of remembrance and is particularly significant here as it can be found growing on the wild slopes of Gallipoli. Sprigs of Rosemary are worn on Anzac Day and often on Remembrance Day, by veterans and others attending commemorative services and parades. As part of the Caulfield Park Masterplan, in May 2015 the viewing platform overlooking the rose garden was removed and the area returned to open space.
The Aleppo Pine tree was planted from the original Lone Pine on Gallipoli. The plaque reads: Aleppo Pine (Pinus Brutia) from the original Lone Pine on Gallipoli grown in the Jubilee Year 1965 planted in memory of departed comrades 'Lest We Forget'.
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Lone Pine, Glen Eira City Council recently planted another Aleppo Pine on the former site of the Caulfield Park Conservatory. Propagated from seeds collected from the Lone Pine at the Australian War Memorial, the tree was officially unveiled on 19 April 2015.
Memorial Stone Adjacent to the new Lone Pine sits a Memorial Stone listing the names of 298 individuals from the Caulfield district who died in the in World War I. In April 2015, the stone was resited from its original position in front of the rose garden. The stone originally marked the North Road section of the Avenue of Honour which no longer exists.
The War Memorial located at the Koornang Road end of the park was erected on 25 April 1952.
Memorial Swimming Pool 1914–1918, 1939–1945, Moira Avenue, Carnegie
McKinnon Memorial garden
Memorial Garden and Obelisk is located in McKinnon Road, McKinnon. The large granite obelisk is dedicated to those residents who served in the Frist World War. The memorial includes a list of names of those who served. A plaque was added in memory of those who fell in the Second World War, Malaya, Korea, Vietnam and Borneo.
An arboreal Avenue of Honour also once existed at McKinnon. Starting from the station and heading westerly toward Brighton, 23 names were included. None of the original trees still exist.
Memorial Park and the Avenue of Honour Plaques are located in Kooyong Road, Caulfield. The park was opened on 23 November 1997. The main feature is a low semi-circular wall displaying memorial plaques honouring individuals who died in the First World War. The main plaque reads: In this year of Australia's Centenary of Federation these memorial plaques have been re-sited from their original position in the Avenues of Honour in North Road, McMillan Street and Point Nepean Road. These memorials were originally placed by the Councils of the former City of Caulfield and the Town of Brighton. They are dedicated to the servicemen who came from this district who died in the Great War of 1914–1918 ...
Brighton-Caulfield Avenue of Honour
It is hard to imagine but a grand arboreal Avenue of Honour once lined parts of North Road, McMillan Street and Point Nepean Road (now Nepean Highway).
The Avenue of Honour was a distinctly Australian phenomenon with hundreds being constructed throughout Australia during and following World War One, most of these in Victoria. Consisting of tree lined streets with each tree representing a solider, the Avenue of Honour signalled a more egalitarian approach to commemoration where rank was not a consideration.
The Brighton-Caulfield Avenue of Honour was dedicated to the ‘memory of (Brighton and Caulfield’s) kith and kin who came from (the) district and who died in the Great War’. A joint project between the neighbouring Councils, the idea was first reported in The Argus on 1 July 1918. Plans moved along quickly and on 3 August 1918 the Governor of Victoria Arthur Stanley planted the first Australian flowering gum.
The next of kin were then invited to plant trees for lost sons, brothers, uncles, nephews and husbands. In all, over 400 trees were planted. Intensely personal, the Avenue also acted as a focus of grief and remembrance for the wider community. For many years, the annual civic Anzac Day service was held at the Avenue on Point Nepean Road, near Glen Huntly Road, Elsternwick. The service was moved to Caulfield Park upon the completion of the war memorial in 1931.