The name Moorabbin is derived from an Aboriginal word which means 'a resting place'. The Indigenous name is probably 'moorooboon'. Moorabbin began as an outpost of ‘Dendy's Brighton’ and took shape as a market garden area along what was Arthur's Seat Road, now the Nepean Highway. For more than a century, the sandy soil of Moorabbin provided metropolitan Melbourne with much of its fruit and vegetables.
In 1862, the Moorabbin District Road Board was established. The Board's boundaries extended from the outskirts of Brighton south-east along both sides of the Nepean Road as far as Mordialloc Creek, taking in the coastal areas now known as Hampton, Sandringham, Beaumaris and Mentone.
Moorabbin was proclaimed a shire in 1871 and a city in 1934.
Moorabbin was one of the first Post Second World War boom suburb and by the 1950s it became one of the fastest growing municipalities in Australia.
In 1994, the State Government adopted the Local Government Board proposal to split the City of Moorabbin into three parts and divide its municipal area between the new cities of Glen Eira, Bayside and Kingston. This ended Moorabbin's status as a municipal authority.
Moorabbin — Road District Board Chairmen, Shire Presidents and Mayors(PDF, 87KB)