Toilets on building sites
Builders are legally required to provide suitable toilet facilities for workers on building sites. The following guidelines are for the provision of toilet amenities on temporary building sites in the City of Glen Eira. Compliance with these guidelines is required under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1985 and for public health considerations.
Failure to comply with the provisions of these guidelines may result in a breach of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1985 or the Health Act 1958. Anyone found to be committing an offence under the provisions of Victorian legislation may be liable to a fine if found guilty in a magistrates' court.
Each building site must be supplied with adequate toilet facilities. Where the toilet is not connected to a sewerage system, it must be a self-contained, fresh water flushing, water seal portable toilet. This must be regularly serviced at least monthly in accordance with the supplier’s information and instructions. Recirculating flush types and straight drop types are not acceptable. Toilets must be kept clean and tidy.
To provide an acceptable standard of hygiene and privacy, the toilet must be:
- conveniently located and readily accessible to all on-site workers;
- soundly constructed with lined ceiling and walls which, for portable toilets, are durable, waterproof and weatherproof;
- well-lit and well-ventilated either naturally or artificially;
- provided with a hinged seat and lid;
- provided with a door which can be locked from inside;
- provided with a well-drained floor above ground level which is covered with a durable waterproof material; and
- provided with a plentiful supply of toilet paper.
Portable toilets should be set up to remain level and stable under all working conditions.
Toilets may be shared by up to three adjacent sites if:
- the sites are under the control of the same builder or there is a clear agreement between the builders;
- the toilets are convenient and readily accessible to the workers on each site; and
- there is at least one toilet per 10 workers.
Any queries regarding these guidelines should be directed to the Victorian WorkCover Authority on 1800 136 089 or contact us on 9524 3333.